July 18, 2013
This week’s Rhythm Planet features a wide variety of new music from around the world in many different styles. We feature some Brazilian classics from the band Azymuth and French bossa novista Nicola Conte’s new collection Viagem 5, some cool vibes to beat the heat with Joe Locke and Milt Jackson; we debut new albums from France’s Deep Forest, New Zealand’s Fat Freddy’s Drop, Malian modal blues from Samba Toure. We remember the great R&B singer Bobby “Blue Bland”, who passed away recently, and there’s modern sufi music from The Shah Hussein Project, a mystery track from the German band Dirtmusic with a song inspired by Werner Herzog’s amazing movie Fitzcarraldo. We wrap things up in a quieter mode with gorgeous new albums on the prestige label ECM, renowned for its pristine sound, production values, and acoustic music. These final four ECM albums are by saxophone virtuoso Chris Potter (warning: it’s jazz not for the feint of heart), German jazz pianist Julia Hulsmann gives a jazz treatment to a Manuel de Falla classic, “Nana” and finally two beautiful albums from Swiss singer Susanne Abbuehl and veteran English singer June Tabor, who makes her ECM debut.
Despite the moribund state of the music industry, it’s amazing how many good records are being produced these days, and many of the albums featured here might well go under the radar. That would be a pity, so I’m doing my small bit to get the music heard. You may discover some you really like.
Rhythm Planet Playlist: 7/5/13
- Azymuth | Meu Mengo | Remixes & Originals | Far Out
- Neyde Fraga | Onda Quebrando | Nicola Conte Presents Viagem 5 | Far Out Recordings
- Joe Locke | Bittersweet | Lay Down My Heart | Motema Music
- Milt Jackson | The Cylinder | Ballad Artistry Of Milt Jackson | Collectables
- Deep Forest | Atali Wowo | Deep Africa | Big 3 Records
- Samba Toure | Be Ki Don | Albala | Glitter Beat
- Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland | Farther Up The Road | The Anthology| Duke/Peacock
- Fat Freddy’s Drop | Silver And Gold | Blackbird | Fat Freddy’s Drop
- Shahram Shabpareh | Leila | Shahram | Secret Stash Records
- The Shah Hussein Project | Saiyyon Assi | The Shah Hussein Project Vol. 1 | The Active
- Dirtmusic | Fitzcarraldo | Troubles | Glitter Beat
- Chris Potter | Wayfinder | The Sirens | ECM Records
- Julia Hulsmann Quartet | Nana | In Full View | ECM Records
- Susanne Abbuehl | My River Runs To You | The Gift | ECM Records
- June Tabor | Near But Far Away | Quercus | ECM Records
“Please join me online and listen to my music show “Rhythm Planet” at http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/cl. Thanks!”
Tom Schnabel, M.A.
Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
Host of music program on radio for KCRW Sundays noon-2 p.m.
Blogs for KCRW
Author & Music educator, UCLA, SCIARC, currently doing music salons