January 3rd, 2020
It is a known fact that higher education in the U.S. is a costly endeavor. When one factors in the cost of tuition, housing, text books and living expenses, a student can look into tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars debt on graduation. Some are able to offset the cost by qualifying for grants and scholarship but many will have to take student loans and carry the burden of paying them off over a long period of time. According to a 2011 report from OECD, the average annual tuition for US public colleges cost more than $6,000. And, according to Value Penguin, the average cost of US in-state public university can total $25,290 a year, when you take into consideration the cost of living, books and other expenses.
There are countries where the cost of attending university is not only affordable but in most cases free. These countries manage to subsidize higher education for their citizens through higher taxes in order to guarantee access to affordable education. Some Americans are looking abroad to pursue their higher education in countries that offer international students free education.
Here are seven countries where higher education is virtually free:
Here are the countries which offer virtually free education to their citizens and international students:
- Brazil: For international students, university education is free when taking classes taught in Portuguese
- Czech Republic: For international students, university education is free when taking classes taught in the Czech language
- France: Free classes available to European Union citizens
- Greece: For international students, university education is free when taking classes taught in Greek
- Classes are taught in Greek
- Kenya: Free tuition available to high-scoring secondary school students
- Norway: Tuition is fee but living expenses come at a very high cost
- Slovenia: Free education for EU citizens
- Sweden: Free education for EU citizens
The Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI), was founded in 1994 and is based in Los Angeles, CA, USA. ACEI provides a number of services that include evaluations of international academic credentials for U.S. educational equivalence, translation, verification, and professional training programs. ACEI is a Charter and Endorsed Member of the Association of International Credential Evaluators. For more information, visit www.acei-global.org.