February 14th, 2020
Educational exchange is an important feature of the U.S. bilateral relationship with Vietnam and seen as an opportunity for U.S. educational institutions. Vietnam remains the sixth leading country of origin for all international students in the United States. There is a strong desire by Vietnamese parents to send their children to attend junior and senior high school in the U.S. Vietnam is also becoming a more popular destination for American students.
Let’s take a look:
- Percentage of population under 24 years old: 39.08%
- Number of mobile students abroad: 82,160
- The number of Vietnamese students in the United States: 24,392
- Percentage increase from AY 2017-2018 and AY 2018-2019: 0.3%
- Contribution of Vietnamese students to U.S. economy: nearly 1 billion
- Percentage of Vietnamese students who were undergraduate at U.S. institutions: 69.0%
- Percentage of Vietnamese students who were at the graduate level: 15.2%
- Percentage of Vietnamese students enrolled in Optional Practical Training (OPT): 10.2%
- Percentage of Vietnamese students enrolled in non-degree programs: 4.6%
- Number of American students studying abroad in Vietnam in 2016-2017: 1,147
- Number of American students studying abroad in Vietnam in 2017-2018: 1,228
- Percentage increase from 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 of American students studying abroad in Vietnam: 7.1%
- Second largest county of original for students at U.S. community colleges: Vietnam
- Preferred 4-year degree programs at universities by Vietnamese students: Business management, banking and finance, engineering, science and technology, and IT programs.
There are several education fairs in Vietnam annually, including events organized by Education USA. The Education USA fairs seem to be the largest and most-attended events of their kind in Vietnam.
Higher Engineering Education Alliances: www.heeap.org
Institute of International Education: http://iie.org
Vietnam Education Foundation: www.vef.gov
U.S. Commercial Service Contacts
Ms. Tran Lan
U.S. Commercial Service Hanoi
Ms. Nguyen Huong
U.S. Commercial Service Ho Chi Minh City
The Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI), was founded in 1994 and is based in Los Angeles, CA, USA. ACEI provides a number of services that include evaluations of international academic credentials for U.S. educational equivalence, translation, verification, and professional training programs. ACEI is a Charter and Endorsed Member of the Association of International Credential Evaluators. For more information, visit www.acei-global.org.