Contributed by: ConexEd
As the COVID-19 global pandemic has forced schools, colleges and universities around the world to offer alternative methods to their traditional in-class instruction, we thought it would be helpful to share this informative piece that was created and posted by ConexEd.
What is Online Learning?
- Online learning always involves an internet connection and can include virtual face-to-face interactions (webinar, online lecture, virtual meeting)
- Uses online tools for learning, such as online curriculum or virtual space or conferencing software.
- Could be considered a mix of virtual learning and blended learning.
What is Virtual Learning?
- Can be used inside or outside the physical building of the educational organization.
- Uses the computer and an online program or software to enhance the learning experience.
- Can be used in a self-pacing format (individualized) or live web conferencing between students and instructors.
- Students have remote access to content and instructors.
- Student can connect and interact with other students and their instructors online.
What is E-Learning?
- E-Learning utilizes digital tools for teaching and learning, and the technology facilitates the learning process.
- Can be used online or in a classroom setting.
- Students take a course from a teacher but only interact with the teacher online.
- Students have unlimited access to the content.
- The course completion, program, or degree is distributed online.
What is Distance Learning?
- Same structure as online learning.
- Specific purpose is to attract students from all locations.
- Can provide instruction to someone learning in a different time and place than that of the teacher and other students.
What is Blended Learning?
- Blended learning is the combination of classroom and virtual learning.
- Ideally integrates virtual learning in a way that individualizes and enhances instruction for students.
When planning online resources and incorporating learning online in the classroom, the objectives for content learning, the intended student outcomes, student needs, and student access to technology and their current digital literacy should be taken into consideration, at which point instructors can determine which approach fits their goals best.
Applied Educational Systems: Online Learning vs Distance Learning https://www.aeseducation.com/blog/online-learning-vs-distance-learning
Kickboard: What is Distance or Remote Learning: https://www.kickboardforschools.com/blog/post/distance-remote-learning/what-is-distance-or-remote-learning/
The Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI), was founded in 1994 and is based in Los Angeles, CA, USA. ACEI is a full-service company providing complete and integrated services in the areas of international education research, credential evaluation, and translation. ACEI’s Global Consulting Group®, offers expertise in the following specialties: Media and Branding, Global Pathways, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) to interested institutions and organizations around the globe. www.acei-global.org